I’ve been doing a little bit of work on the site, refreshing the content on the static pages (mostly making it sillier), adding a contact page (that I might soon come to regret) and paying a little bit of money to sort out the roboticshed.com URL properly so that all the internal links are the same rather than the unfortunate mess they were before. I believe any direct links to old blog entries or pages will automagically link to the new place so no one needs to change anything.
The changes should mean that the WordPress stats now work a lot better so I’ll be able to tell exactly where any visitors to the site originally came from (Hello people searching for Project Zomboid on Google). If you are a webdesignery person and you have any tips on things my site absolutely must have immediately then feel free to comment below or tweet at me.
Free Company development continues in between exam invigilation sessions, the first pass at the ‘overgamey’ stuff I talked about below is nearly wrapped up. The campaign shop looks like this now:
That shop again
Lots of fun bugs and stuff still to tackle in the months ahead.
So, it turns out moving house takes up a lot of time and mental energy. I’m about to make a large move across the country to a new city (London) and lose most of my remaining savings at the same time. It’s pretty daunting but I’m hopeful that things will work out for the best.
I’ve been squeezing in a little bit of work on game projects when I’ve had the time or energy. Over the summer I started work on a little top down 2D project inspired by a TIG Source competition but, as such things tend to, it grew larger in my imagination and it began to take away time I should have been spending on the Free Company project. I learned a bunch of useful things through working on it, principally about texture atlasing and how difficult it is to make a flexible action scripting system for a level editor. Hopefully I’ll pick that project back up at some point in the future and polish it into something playable. Recently, I’ve been back on Free Company trying to make some headway on the automated level generation (very tricky), cleaning up the front end and a lot of refactoring of the code I’d already written to make it more useable across the multiple projects I’d been running.
The indie game stuff is going to have to take a backseat from now on though, I’m out of money and taking on a big mortgage at the same time so I’m back searching for some full-time work. I’ll still try to do a little bit of work on the game now and again but realistically it’s pretty unlikely I’ll get anything big finished anytime soon.
Hopefully, once I’m settled in London things will calm down a bit and I’ll be able to get back to this blog occasionally with information on whatever it is I end up doing next.
Thanks for following.
So a little while ago I made a logo for the Robotic shed. It looks a bit like this:
I’ve also temporarily pointed all my robotic shed domains at this wordpress blog because they are easier to remember. At some point I need to transform this blog into a fully fledged internet site with all that fancy e-commerce and descriptions of the games I’m making.
That day is not today however.