Tag Archives: screenshots

If I had a hammer…

Free Company with highlight lights

Click to enlarge

The development of Free Company continues this week with the addition of ¬†lighting themes to the procedural tactical battle generator. In the shot above you can see my first stab at the ubiquitous ‘orange & teal’ theme that has become so popular in Hollywood. The basic principle is to help increase the variation that players see between levels in a simple, asset cheap, way. As the generator progresses I’m intending to tie the lighting colour theme to other aspects of the contract to help enhance whatever mood suits that particular contract. Right now though it’s just a completely random pick.

I grabbed a couple more shots of it in action so you can better see to what I am referring:

More light theme examples

I call them "Sandy" and "Red-ish"

I also spent some time since the last update finishing the first pass on the ‘overgame’ campaign code and UI. A player can now successfully navigate between the overgame layer and a series of tactical battles while retaining the same set of mercenaries. Right now the main tie between the two layers is whether the mercenaries died, whether they completed the contract and what weapons they bought from the campaign shop. As development progresses I’m going to try and increase the amount of interdependency between the two game states to help keep them feeling like a cohesive whole. Exactly how is going to depend on playtesting.

Finally I added a really big hammer.

Hammer time

Thor would be proud


Look! An early, art free, screenshot

I’ve decided that it was high time to post a screen shot of what I’ve been working on for the past month, if only so I can look back on it months later and say – look how far we’ve come. It’s very much mostly programmer art (and indeed placeholders from directX) so far as I haven’t seriously put my artist had on since my first proof of concept tinkerings with GIMP and blender a few weeks back. It does show some of the features I’ve managed to hammer together so far such as the text rendering, basic UI and the general lighting/camera angle setup. Boom:

Love those D3D standard assets

I’m starting to push things in a dark fantasy direction with the hud image there, and the general blackness of everything but I think there is a long way to go before I really nail that aesthetic. Though, with nothing really going on, check out that frame rate!

General code optimisation on an indie budget is actually kind of tough. I haven’t yet found a good, free or nearly free, tool that’ll quickly do function timings yet. What I want is some of the functionality of a VTune like program for a sub fifty pound price.